Thursday, July 10, 2014

Update to my last post

 A very wise woman once told me "If you get angry or upset, walk away and give yourself time to calm down before reacting". I think that is what I forgot to do earlier. I know I could have easily just erased that post and no one would have ever known, but I wanted to keep it up to remind myself to next time take a break and cool down first.

 I know in my heart of hearts that my friend had no intention of upsetting me, and truth be told maybe I upset easier than most people. But now that I've had time to relax and think about it more I can now react. It's actually a good thing that this other study came out. (I don't have a link for it, but you can google - Palinopsia Revamped: A Systematic Review of the Literature David Gersztenkorn, MD, MS Andrew G. Lee, M - to find the study. It's actually a very great report. Yes it combines other studies, but this is exactly what we need. We needed a study that referenced other studies so that one could look at the picture in a whole and not fragmented with too many what if's.

 For about a year now I've felt like a "What if". I've felt completely separated from others with VS because only a handful of others, that I know of, have this wacky peripheral vision like I do. And fewer than that have it in their central vision, which scares the utter crap out of me. I know that at any given time this condition can get worse for no rhyme or reason. But, back to my point - This Palinopsia study (which yes, is only one of my many symptoms) explains several different types of Palinopsia and one of those types is most similar to what I experience in my peripheral vision during fast movement, such as cars passing. It's called Visual Trailing, aka Akinetopic palinopsia. It is often described as stroboscopic vision. Motion appears fragmented and afterimages are left at the previous location where the moving object was observed. The only difference with this however, is that what I am seeing is not an afterimage, per se. My peripheral vision is just fragmented and is missing several frames.

 So, you see, this actually ended up making me feel better. Palinopsia is most often associated with Visual Snow, and to now see that my strange symptom that I thought wasn't related, be classified as related, makes me feel like once Dr. Goadsby and Dr. Schankin figure this stuff out, that my wonky peripheral vision will get better too.

 Okay, so there you have it. When you get upset, take several hours or even a day to sit back and let it all process before you react.

xox
Candi

No comments:

Post a Comment