Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Update on Visual Snow Study

The study was supposed to be out in April, unfortunately it wasn't. The only thing that did end up coming out was a published paper on the preliminary phone study the researchers did first and also something else that mentions a connection between migraines to Visual Snow. I did not see the latter of the two, however. http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/03/18/brain.awu050.abstract

I did recently receive an email from a member on the Visual Snow Facebook page and she shared this following post from a member:

Today, we saw a renowned neurologist at UCLA and the first thing I asked was about the research and he mentioned that yesterday he had a meeting back East with many neurologist including Dr. Goadsby. We have seen many doctors, including a neurologist at UCSF, but it was not Dr. Goadsby, he was not available, and I have to say that today’s doctor was the first doctor that we got some direct answers. So, this is what he said about V.S. current theory that is caused by some changes in the excitability of visual processing area of the brain, changes in the chemistry of the visual cortex and the excitability. He said migraine and V.S. are related because people with migraine get V.S. and jagged lines just to a different extent. TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) that was recently approved by FDA for migraine would be a helpful therapy for V.S. people and he said he should have that equipment in couple of months. Basically it is pluses of magnetic energy to reset the cortex. He said there are two ways to treat V.S., the conservative way or with some medication. I mentioned that my son’s MRI and all his blood tests were fine except Vitamin D which was low, and he just started taking one pill a week for it. The doctor said he would not be surprised if after one month taking the vitamin D, the symptoms might get better, because recently they have connected Vitamin D with some visual activity in the brain (I am sure how he explained it). He recommended conservative things to do by having a routine. Eating healthy, sleeping and aerobic exercising, preferably outdoor and get some sun. He recommended magnesium, riboflavin, CoQ10 and melatonin. Also, he mentioned people that might have any surgeries and if propofol is used, it might reset the brain chemicals and they have seen it in some patients.He mentioned memantine (Namenda) which is also used for alzheimer.One more thing I forgot to mention. The neurologist recommend two table spoons of Chi(I am guessing se meant Chia) seeds everyday, you could put them in your salad or any food or he said it even comes like a snack bar you can purchase.

So there you have it! If you look into TMS (Transcranial Mangnetic Stiumlation) it really does seem promising for VS. Instead of using medication to chain brain chemistry you will actually be using electricity to fight electricity- It makes more sense.

  Update on me: Still having the same annoying peripheral stuff going on... trying to ignore it, but it actually causes me to get pretty disoriented when I am in a car and watching traffic go by at a light. I am also getting this weird thing when I read... each time my eyes saccade from right to left while reading small print it is like the page shakes with each word my eyes fixate on. I haven't heard any other VS'ers complain of this. I honestly sometimes feel like I am just a different case all together and it's more like my brain is just deteriorating or something like that. I dunno... I guess I really shouldn't beat myself up over it. I still have big dreams of traveling the world and as long as I have those... I have hope. God Bless! Candi

No comments:

Post a Comment